So I've remained four weeks sober. I can't say it has been easy. The last week in particular was really rough. I have been going through some stressful situations (most of it financial), and the temptation to masturbate was great. But I feel that I've gained a lot.
Here are some things that I think have helped me the most:
- This web site. This week I decided to reread the "Instruction Manual for the Primitive Brain," and that helped keep me on track and motivated. Plus, people's support and feedback have helped a lot. Even the motivation to not have to report that I gave in has been important. A big hug to everyone on this site.
- Meditation. I don't know this to be the case, but I doubt I would have lasted without meditation. It's seemingly simple, but very powerful.
- Celebrity Rehab. I've been watching the show Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew and I think it really has helped me to see addiction in a different way, and the ways our brains convince us to do what is not in our best interest. Say what one will about a show that videos addiction rehab in all its ups and downs, it has helped me.
- Exercise. I've only been doing this for a few days, but I can already tell this is helping me considerably. I feel less anxious. I sleep better. I feel more "manly" in a healthier way.
- Socializing. I would have never guessed (as obvious as it might sound) that spending time with others is so important during this process. Even if its just watching a movie with someone. I can tell the difference between times I've spent with people and times I've spent alone. I even begin to think more rationally and clearly. It's absolutely vital.
- Realizing that I'm more likely to find a mate. This information has been really important too. Just knowing that I'm more likely to realize a real relationship rather than fantasy on the screen is a huge motivation factor.
I'm still working on it. I still find myself fantasizing or obsessing about a female I may know and there are moments I'm not sure I'm going to be able to resist, but overall it has been good.