The Riddle of the Tree of Life
Cultivate the spiritual, the mental and physical desire, rather than those carnal desires that are gratified only for the moment.1
One of the most fascinating, yet obscure, promises in the Cayce material lies in the readings interpreting the book of Revelation. Cayce's source insists that if one cleanses and purifies the forces of the gonads (reproductive center), one can bring about complete regeneration (perfect operation of the endocrine system). 2
This is the key to the riddle of the Tree of Life referred to in Genesis.3 But how exactly does one cleanse and discipline the reproductive force? The readings say that the answer can be found through a combination of
- actual experience working with the ideas suggested in the Commentary, 5 and
- greater knowledge about the endocrine system.6
In particular, "Everyone should understand their purposes, desires — physically, mentally, spiritually — in human relationships," advises Cayce.7
More than 15 years ago, after many relationships that started out with much love and mutual attraction but deteriorated for a variety of reasons that seemed to make no sense, I did as the readings suggest. I set a strong, continuing intention that my will be completely aligned with divine will where my intimate relationships were concerned. 8
Without consciously realizing it, I had embarked on a quest that would combine clues from ancient wisdom about sacred sexuality with recent findings by neuroscientists…and confirm exactly what Cayce said over 60 years ago. Our endocrine system is the means by which sexual expression is linked to both spiritual growth…and spiritual blindness.
Almost at once a parade of past wisdom marched my way. To my amazement, even thousands of years ago, sages recorded that passion creates problems, which can be overcome by learning to cultivate sexual energy for a loftier end than mere physical gratification. The parallels with the Cayce material grew clearer and clearer. There was another way to make love, not based on the impulse to reproduce.
The years rolled on, and I gained enough practical experience with this unfamiliar approach to lovemaking to confirm that my health and the harmony in my relationships improved as I applied the principles.9
My husband appeared, and experienced profound healing of his own from this practice. A science teacher, he wanted to understand how making love differently could heal. He began a thorough analysis of recent neuroscience discoveries about how sex interacts with the endocrine system.
Sure enough, this recent research reveals why passion leads to dissatisfaction rather than lasting bliss. And how selflessness - both in and out of the bedroom - can improve health, soothe cravings, promote harmony in intimate relationships, and lay the groundwork for heightened spiritual awareness. (Alas, scientists are currently using the research to develop profitable, yet risky, sexual enhancement drugs. 10)
In short, as Cayce predicted, knowledge of the endocrine link between our emotions and sex is the best way to understand how to use our reproductive force more wisely.
In this article I'll share what I've learned about the mystery of sexual union for spiritual ends against the backdrop of the Cayce readings. Then we’ll look more closely at what Cayce had to say about Revelation and the riddle of the Tree of Life. Finally, we'll consider the parallels between the Cayce material and recent scientific research on how sex interacts with the neuro-endocrine system.
- 1. 911-7
- 2. Revelation: A Commentary Based on a Study of Twenty-Four Psychic Discourses by Edgar Cayce, ARE Press, 1969. Note: page numbers used in footnotes here refer to this volume. p. 153 (Edgar Cayce Readings (c) 1971, 1993-2006 by the Edgar Cayce Foundation. All Rights Reserved)
- 3. Commentary, p. 153
- 4. It requires deep meditation to get the correct insight, but you will know when you know, by the experience of coordinating the physical, mental and spiritual. (p. 41, 281-51) Seek to know His will. (p. 2, 281-16)
- 5. You will learn the meaning through actual effects of activities on the physical being. (p. 19, 281-33) As you become conscious in your own experience of the movement of the influences through the body upon the various stages of awareness, there comes a determined desire for the light, for the temple of the living God is in your own body and mind. (p. 5, 281-28)
- 6. Much meditation is needed here. As it [the endocrine system] is better understood, papers may be prepared which would prove not only very interesting but most beneficial. (p. 48, 281-54)
- 7. p. 50, 281-55
- 8. Make the physical desire and the will of the Father as one that there may be the cleansing in the soul. 262-64
- 9. "There will be doubts until a practical application is made in an individual's experience." (p. 55, 281-63)
- 10. See this article about the risks of sexual enhancement drugs. The research itself confirms the wisdom of Cayce's advice.